Close Quarters: Open Auditions
You’re invited to audition for timely new play by a writer we’re very excited about. Set in the near future on a British Army base overseas, Kate Bowen’s Close Quarters is about the first generation of women in close combat roles: a fascinating and surprising look at gender politics in the world’s most dangerous workplace. It is directed by Kate Wasserberg, Out of Joint’s artistic director, for Out of Joint and Sheffield Theatres. (See press release)
You must be available 24 Sep to 10 Nov.
- Rehearsals start 24 September 2018, London.
- Rehearsals move to Sheffield 8 October 2018.
- Performances from 24 October to 10 November 2018, Sheffield.
There is a set allowance available to actors working away from home to cover accommodation costs, additional and separate to wages.
HOW TO APPLY – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1) Read the character descriptions (below). We can only see people who can fully meet the descriptions.
2) Note these audition dates and locations, and the associated deadline for applying.
Sheffield: Tue 15 & Wed 16 May (deadline Tue 1 May)
Glasgow: Tue 22 & Wed 23 May (deadline Sun 13 May)
London: Wed 6 & Thu 7 June (deadline Mon 28 May)
3) Email email@example.com with your CV and a colour headshot and tell us which character you wish to audition for. Make the email subject OPEN AUDITIONS plus the name of the city you wish to audition in.
4) If we’d like to meet you we will contact you with a 15 minute time-slot, between 10am and 6pm. You’ll need to reply confirming that you intend to come. (We can’t offer you a choice of times, but if you have a genuine reason why you can’t attend at a certain time, please tell us in your original email.)
5) For your audition you should prepare two short modern monologues. These must be performed in the correct accent for the character.
PRIVATE SARAH FINDLAY
20s. Female. Dual ethnic heritage . Glasgow accent.
Working Class. Charming, funny, authentic. Really fit, strong and capable of combat. We must believe that she could be on the front line alongside her male peers.
PRIVATE GILLIAN CORMACK
20s. Female. Any ethnicity. Glasgow accent.
Working Class. Charming. Funny. Warm. Like Findlay, she fights alongside the men and should be super fit and strong.
**** MUST BE ABLE TO DO PARKOUR****
PRIVATE BRIAN ARMSTRONG
20s. Male. Any ethnicity. Glasgow accent.
Working Class. Funny, a joker with swagger. Fit and strong.
CAPTAIN ANNA SANDS
30–50. Female. Any ethnicity. RP.
An experienced and brilliant intelligence officer. Shrewd, impressive and professional.
24/25. Male. Black. RP.
A high achieving political operator who has come through the graduate programme. This is his first command.
Late 20s. Female. Any ethnicity. Swansea accent.
From Swansea. Non Commissioned Officer. Believes in playing by the rules, loathes Findlay. Pragmatic, strategic, capable of both fierce loyalty and deep malice.